Thursday, 17 February 2011

파전 Pajeon - How I Make Them


I love eating Jeon. Jeon is a korean pancake-like dish that can be made many different ways. The base is a flour batter for which you can use special jeon flour or just plain old wheat flour. Some people say that jeon flour is better, but Idk, haven't tried it yet.

Jeon with Bacon
with bacon :O

However, Pajeon is Jeon made with green onions. Extra proteins are often added in form of seafood, like oysters for example. Well, I just put anything I like in my Jeons, I don't really care for their authenticity or how "korean" they are. I like them with garlic, onions, kimchi, seaweed, mushrooms, tofu, bacon,... whatever I can find in my kitchen that appeals to me. :3

Ingredients

This is how I made them yesterday~
For The Batter I Used

2 cups of wheat flour
2 cups of water (the colder the crispier it'll get)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
some black pepper

I also like adding a hint of nutmeg powder, allspice/ jamaica pepper, cayenne pepper and a few drops of Tabasco. And I always use 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder by KNORR (no idea if this brand is known outside of Germany). I used baking powder once, but I think they get more crispy without.

So yesterday I also mixed the green onions, one onion and two cloves of garlic into the batter. After you've thrown everything you'd like into the bowl, just fry... very easy, there really isn't much you could do wrong.

IngredientsJeon Batter

Frying JeonFrying Jeon

I guess you usually eat Jeon with a dipping sauce, made of soy sauce & vinegar. But I just dip them in Toyomansi, thehe. Or sometimes I eat them with Banana Ketchup. :3

No comments: